Pages

Thursday, October 24, 2013

No Bake Tofu Cheesecake - Happy Birthday To Me :)

Yesterday was my birthday and I was not in the mood for any cake decorating thingy, but I was for sure craving for cheesecake

I've been curious about tofu cheesecake for a long time, always wonder how the texture and taste
So here it is, my healthier kind of cheesecake, yum yum yum...
I made it a day before my birthday, for the overnight refrigeration
Thanks Ann from Anncoo Journal for the wonderful and easy recipe :)




I replaced green tea powder with cocoa powder since I don't really fancy green tea in my bakes. I mixed 1/4 of the batter with the chocolate and poured at the centre of the batter. After that I had no clue how to make nice swirls, so this is what I got. It looked like sun to me, but my kids said it's giant tick with lots of legs LOL




Cutting my first slice after waiting overnight :)



This cheesecake is so light and refreshing, taste really good, too
I just couldn't stop at one slice! It's a scary fact to eat more than one slice of cheesecake, but this one makes an exception. Less guilt attack haha....

Having said that, as much as I enjoyed this cake, I would still crave for those creamy NY style cheesecake LOL Perhaps next time *wink*




Recipe as follows...

What you need:
(for 8" round springform pan)

For the base:
100g Marie biscuits, crushed
80g melted butter
 
Combine crushed biscuits and melted butter in a bowl. Press onto the base of the pan and keep in the fridge for later use
 
For the filling:
300g pressed tofu
15g gelatine powder
70g water
2 tsp cocoa powder and 1 tsp chocolate paste mixed with 5 tbsp of hot water
250g cream cheese (room temperature)
200g plain yoghurt (I used low fat, or can use sour cream)
60g reduced sugar soya milk
100g icing sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
 
Method:
  1. Wrap tofu in cheesecloth (I don't own one, so I used thin tea towel) and place a heavy object on top for about 15 mins to press out water from the tofu
  2. Soak gelatine in water for 5 mins
  3. In a food processor, blend cream cheese, tofu (I broke it apart), yoghurt, soya milk, icing sugar and vanilla til very smooth
  4. Heat gelatine powder in double boiler til melted, add to cream cheese mixture and mix well
  5. Pour 3/4 of the batter into the prepared pan with the base, and mix the remaining 1/4 with chocolate mixture
  6. Pour the chocolate batter at the centre of the plain batter in the pan and then do the swirls as desired with chopstick
  7. Chill cake in the fridge, minimum of 4 hours (I did overnight)
  8. Cut the cake with hot knife to get a nicely cut slice :)
 
 
I still couldn't get it so smooth like what Ann did. You see the little holes? I wonder why
 
 
 
I'm submitting this post to Little Thumbs up organised by Doreen from my little favourite DIY and Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids, hosted by Mich from Piece of Cake at this post
 
 
 
I saw Ann did the baked version too. Looks really good! Now that's another one to be curious about :)
 



Who said only nicely decorated cake will make a birthday girl happy? I was real happy with this cake :P
Happy Birthday To Me! :)

10 comments:

  1. Hi Alice, Happy belated Birthday to you!!!
    That is a beautiful cheesecake with that pretty design :)
    Perhaps you can shake or tap the cake pan a little to release the air inside the cake the next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cheesecake looks good to me. Haven't try tofu with cheesecake. Shall try one day. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, belated Happy Birthday to you. I like the design of the swirls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alice, Happy belated birthday. Yeah, this is a nice cheesecake - I tried a few times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday, Alice! I am not brave enough to try tofu cheesecake hah! hah! Yours looks good and I like your "sun" design.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a beautiful marbling effect you've got there Alice! looks like a sun to me! been looking for a tofu cheesecake recipe... great you posted this up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the swirl pattern, looks so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday Alice! Your birthday cake looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. if i get this for my birthday, i would be very happy too! even tho there's no real decoration, the 'sun' is good enough! It is attractive!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...