Pages

Friday, April 12, 2013

Bake Along #42 - Deep Chocolate Pound Cake

This cake is very compact and dense. That's the first impression I had in mind when I first tried it. But it's indeed moist and crumbly
Taste wise, I loved it. I didn't mind the honey taste in it. But texture, not really my kind of cake. Not my family, either. Moist, yes we like. But dense, not really
Nevertheless, I and Abby, my chocolate addict girl, did munch on this cake quite a bit :) DH ate a little, too. Ian had a bite and that's it LOL





Recipe is from HERE

What you need:

2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
¾ tsp coarse kosher salt
¼ tsp baking soda½ cup sour cream (replace with yogurt) ½ cup whole milk
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ cup honey
2 tablespoons boiling water¾ cup sugar (reduced to 1/2 cup) ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon chocolate emulco
½ cup mini semisweet chocolate chips

Method:

1. Whisk flour, baking powder, coarse salt, and baking soda in medium bowl. Whisk yoghurt and milk in small bowl
2. Add honey and water in a heatproof pan. Cook and stir as heating the mixture. Once combine, off the heat (no need reach boiling point). Add in cocoa powder and mix until smooth. Cool completely3. Using electric mixer, beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy. 3. Beat in eggs 1 at a time, occasionally scraping down sides of bowl
Beat in chocolate emulco. Add cocoa mixture; stir until smooth, occasionally scraping down bowl
4. Fold in flour mixture alternately with sour cream (yogurt) mixture in 2 additions each until just blended. Stir in chocolate chips
5. Pour batter into lined baking pan or muffins mould. Bake in preheated oven at 180C for about 45 minutes or until tester inserted into center comes out clean
6. Remove cake from pan and cool on wire rack

I'm submitting this post to Bake Along #42 organised by Joyce from Kitchen FlavoursLena from Frozen Wings and Zoe from Bake For Happy Kids

6 comments:

  1. Hi Alice,
    There are mixed reviews about this cake! Very interesting. I find that the honey is a little too strong for my liking and not chocolaty enough, but overall it is a nice and moist cake. I'm glad that you have given it a try though!
    Thank you for baking along with us, have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That chocolate cake looks so rich, so fudgy, so utterly yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! ok..ok..so where did the rest of the cake go??
    i think this would be nice to hv some some cream accompany the cake :D have a good coming week !

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, I can see how dense your cake looks, mine has a damp streak at the bottom..but the taste is nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Alice,

    This is lots of mixed reviews in this recipe. The reviews at Epicurious are the same but being a chocoholic, I have decided to give this a shot. I laughed reading your individual family member's reactions. I think the cake is delicious because it is a chocolate cake but I was expecting a richer chocolatey taste...

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Deep Chocolate Pound Cake looks moist.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...