Pages

Monday, October 8, 2012

Coconut Rice (Nasi Lemak)

I've cooked coconut rice three times for the past few months with three different recipes

The first one I made, pic below, I used packet instant seasoning, just mixed with the rinsed rice and water, put in the rice cooker. Served with fried fish, stir fry kangkong with dried shrimp, stir fry prawns and petai using instant sambal seasoning with dried shrimp, fried ikan bilis and store bought nasi lemak sambal chilli
My kind of cooking when hit by lazy bug LOL




Second time I made was more original, pic below, everything made from the scratch including the sambal chilli
I served with pan fry seabass, fried silver fish, scrambled eggs and prawn sambal belimbing


 
 
Recipe for the nasi lemak is from recipe book: All About Rice & Noodles
 
What you need:
 
For the rice:
 
uncooked rice (amount as needed)
half part water and half part coconut milk to cook the rice
salt
4 pandan leaves
  1. Rinse rice and combine well with coconut milk, salt and water. Set aside for 20 minutes then add pandan leaves
  2. Cook in rice cooker
 
For the sambal chilli:
 
Blend well:
1 small piece lemon grass
1 clove of garlic
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
20g dried shrimps (soaked til softened)
1 small piece of prawn paste (belachan)
140g shallots (chopped)
100g onion (chopped)
30g red chillies (chopped)
 
3 tbsps sugar
1 tbsp light soya sauce
salt and pepper
  1. Heat oil and fry the paste til oil seeps out, add sugar, light soya sauce, salt and pepper
  2.  
Third time I cooked nasi lemak, pic below, I used recipe from Ellena's site and now I know, this is the recipe I'm going to use in the future
My whole family loves this nasi lemak, so tasty and fragrant, too
I served with fried noodle, prawn crackers, fried silver fish and fried chicken with crumbs
 
 
 
 
A unique recipe using F & N ice cream soda, yields a very satisfying kind of coconut rice
Do give this a try, you won't regret!
Recipe can be viewed HERE
 
The sambal chilli I used the recipe I shared above, nice sambal I must say, even though the preparation is not so friendly to my eyes -> chopping 240g of shallots and onion, teary eyes I got at the end of everything, but it's worth it - really! :P
 
Even from the pictures, you will know which one going to be your favorite, isn't it? :)
 
 

12 comments:

  1. nice i love nasi lemak. all the photos looks so tempting at this hour of time. using F&N ice cream soda without santan? sure or not. for me the ice cream soda taste so sweet ler...but no harm to give it a try. thanks for shaeing Alice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Angeline, thks :) the one using ice cream soda of course still have to use coconut milk, the name is coconut rice! LOL

      Delete
  2. looks yummy... the sudden craving for nasi lemak now...hehehe...:-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Günaydın, ellerinize,emeğinize sağlık. Çok leziz ve nefis görünüyor. Ayrıca çokda iştah açıcı.

    Saygılarımla..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by and your kind comment
      i managed to translate it with google :P

      Delete
  4. I love nasi lemak! I don't care the calories count or its cholesterol content, I must have nasi lemak with good sambal at least once a week~

    Have no talent in cooking nasi lemak, thus I resort to eating it only :D

    Yours with ice cream soda recipe is very special, I wonder does it taste any different from the usual traditional nasi lemak?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thks yvonne :)
      no, u cant taste the soda at all, i think it just a help for the texture :P

      Delete
  5. I am actually not a rice person, but I love the green colour rice set. It looks yummy to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Alice, I love nasi lemak, your look delicious and mouthwatering. Love the fried fish and kangkong.

    Next time you try add 1 tsp fenugreek seeds in the rice for extra kick. :)
    Have a nice week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Amelia, thks :)
      i never use any fenugreek in my cooking, should give a try next time :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...