Pages

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Cashew Nut Cookies

I don't really fancy nuts but I love cashew nuts!!!
There were so many times I've eaten these cookies during Chinese New Year in the previous years, but really, this is the first time I tried to bake them myself :)

Recipe is from Small Small Baker, perfect choice!
Perfect taste but I'm still pretty disappointed in the presentation - my hands still need a lot of practice!
The crescent shape is initial plan til Abby came to me and asked me to make smiling heart shape :)
So here they are...



































What you need:

110g butter
70g castor sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 egg (mine is 30g)
40g grounded baked cashew nuts
180g plain flour
20g cornflour
1/2 tsp baking powder

Topping:
1 egg, separated
halved cashew nuts

Cream butter and sugar till pale and creamy
Add in pure vanilla extract
Add in egg slowly, beat until well-mixed
Fold in grounded cashew nuts. Fold in sifted flours and baking powder gradually. Knead to form dough
Roll the dough into 3/4 cm thickness. Cut the dough into crescent shapes (or any shape you like) and place them on the lined baking tray. Brush a layer of egg white on the cookies and top each cookie with one halved cashew nut. (Brushing egg white helps the cashew nut to stick to the cookie well)
Brush a layer of egg yolk on top of the cashew nuts
Bake at preheated oven at 180C for about 15 minutes till light golden brown

So happy I can give my homemade cashew nut cookies to my family this year :)
I'm submitting these cookies to Aspiring Bakers #3: My Favorite CNY Cookie (Jan 2011), hosted by J3ss kitch3n

6 comments:

  1. Wow, looks great! Glad that you like these! I gave away mine and left only 1 bottle for my family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alice, these looks yummy. Hubby has requested for some peanut version. Might substitute cashew with peanut if I still have the time to bake. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. alice they look beautiful leh! you belittle yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi SSB,
    yes we love these so much!
    my hubby said, this is a hotel standard!
    thks for sharing the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi edith, thks :)
    looking forward to seeing your version with peanut - must be nice too :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...